Jumat, 20 Maret 2015
There’s something comforting about pancakes. The smell of flapjacks brings us to weekend mornings from our childhood when cartoons (not phone alarms ) jolted us up and about so we did not care just simply the amount syrup we drizzled on our plate. However that scene becomes less frequent in adulthood. Tear.
Well, we expect daily deserves to become as special like a lazy Sunday morning. And you also don’t need to go to some fancy brunch—or sacrifice your own health goals—to continue to keep your fluffy, carby dreams a reality.
For grown-up versions of your respective childhood favorite, try these nine protein-packed pancake recipes. From classic banana to vegan tiramisu to stacks with peanut butter syrup, these pancakes can help you perk up and bulk up. (Kidding upon the latter, however they can help you get healthier. )
1. Lemon Chia Seed Protein Pancakes
Pancakes possess a reputation for being heavy, however this recipe is anything but. Made with egg whites, vanilla protein powder, banana, chia seeds, lemon, and a couple of other baking add-ins, they’re an airy and refreshing counterpart towards the diner classic. Tip : Use almond flour to get them to gluten-free.
2. Pumpkin Oatmeal Protein Pancakes
Fall usually is to pumpkin what weekends are to pancakes. However that doesn’t mean you can’t change things up. In the end, the best recipes derive from thinking outside the box—and season. And isn’t cream cheese syrup worth breaking the rules for? We expect so. Simply combine oats, cottage cheese, pumpkin purée, almond milk, eggs, and spices, and flip your method to the healthiest (but nonetheless decadent ) breakfast yet.
3. Blueberry Almond Protein Pancakes
We used to believe it was eventually impossible to enhance upon classic blueberry pancakes. But boy were we wrong. The addition of almond butter, mashed banana, and vanilla protein powder makes these pancakes next-level good. To not mention, they’re the ideal meal for refueling post-workout—or post-sleep (#doyou ).
Vegan Apple Cinnamon Protein Pancakes
4. Apple Cinnamon Vegan Protein Pancakes
Switching to some vegan diet could seem tough, but with recipes such as this, who needs everything dairy? Made using the oh-so-popular flax egg, spelt flour, Sunwarrior Blend Protein Powder, coconut oil, non-dairy milk, and a couple of other spices and baking materials, they’re just as hearty as a standard batch. Our favorite part : the three-ingredient vegan caramel sauce topping.
5. Chocolate Crunch Protein Pancakes
Though they sound as a breakfast treat from childhood, these pancakes are legit healthy—and they’re dairy-free, low fat, and gluten-free too. Cacao nibs add crunch, while chocolate protein powder and cocoa powder supply the creamy chocolate flavor. We adore topping with fresh berries and also a dollop of Greek yogurt.
6. Vegan Tiramisu Protein Pancakes
One look into the pictures of those pancakes was enough in order to make us run to store and get them to immediately. And though many of the ingredients are just a little tough to locate, there will be lots of ways to make use of what you have on hand. Don’t have mocha protein powder? Use chocolate in its place and add extra espresso. No rum extract? Add a touch of the actual liquor—it’s OK, we won’t tell anyone.
Strawberry Cheesecake Protein Pancakes
7. Strawberry Cheesecake Protein Pancakes
This glorious recipe only takes quarter-hour (tops ) in order to make. More appropriately : It requires only four ingredients. Simply combine the ingredients inside a food processor or blender, pop ‘em upon the stove, flip, and serve with fresh berries and honey or maple syrup. Tip : Use dates and cottage cheese set up from the pudding mix to stay things natural.
8. Peanut Butter Banana Protein Pancakes
We adore peanut butter so we cannot lie—especially when it’s mixed into pancakes and transformed into syrup. This recipe uses PB2 (a powdered, low-fat version of peanut butter ), rolled oats, banana, egg whites, and protein powder like the base. And also the pancakes are then topped with lots of maple peanut sauce—which we can’t get enough of. Tip : Use Greek yogurt and honey set up from the vanilla Activia.
9. Confetti Cake Protein Pancakes
Sure, rainbow sprinkles might not function as the healthiest treat available, but just a little sugary topping never hurt anyone. (Not that many of us know of, anyway. ) Made with whey protein powder, almond milk, egg whites, and real sprinkles, this breakfast treat is that the perfect method to kick off your Friday—or any day each week.
Minggu, 01 Februari 2015
The Best and Worst Foods to Eat When You're Sick - Even when you’ve done your best to fight off the winter sadness and miserable flus, it’s inevitable everyone evidence get at least a mild sniffle at some kernel during cold and flu season. And even though being stuck at home with a fever does warm up our bodies—which may sound nice when the fever outside is below zero—it’s not exactly as enjoyable as warming up in the sun on a gorgeous beach somewhere. With flu season peaking in February, it’s time to ancestry up on food and drinks that’ll get you back to tip-top character in no time.
When we’re sick, the substance needs more calories to role normally. The carcass must work harder than usual when we are sick in order to wrestle infection, especially with fevers (when it’s battling higher carcass temperatures, too). To do this effectively, it needs to maintain higher energy levels (which can be tough when it’s already working so hard). This is why properly fueling a sick mass is an essential part of getting better.
It’s important to staff to regular eating schedules when sick because consumption fewer calories than vertical can restrict the body’s talent to heal. In fact, studies suggest reducing calorie contraction when sick not only increases sensitivity to the flu, but also worsens symptoms and lengthens the duration of illness .
While a nasty cold or sin matter of the flu resolve ruin your appetite, it’s important to subordination well nourished and hydrated. Eating smaller allocation of food more frequently (and listening to your mass to determine when you’re actually hungry) makes it easier to steadily fuel us through the recovery process. The best foods to eat will obeying ourselves hydrated and give our carcass extra intestines and nutrients to subordination strong (without aggravating upset tummies or clogged-up respiratory systems).
Your Action Plan
The best way to kick a cold is to swallow plenty of fluids and eat immunity-boosting foods. Here are some of the best items out there:
It’s not just an old wives' tale—chicken noodle trouble tins actually assistance soothe a cold: The chicken contains an amino acid called cysteine, which helps thin mucus in the lungs, and the hot soups helps to harmony nasal course moist, prevent dehydration, and fight irritation in the throat . Plus, the other ingredients may assistance the substance kick a cold by staying congestion and inflammation in their tracks .
Warm liquids tins soothe a sore throat and alleviate congestion, so drinks like freshly-brewed green tea—which is rich in infection-fighting antioxidants and supports the immune system—or hot water with lemon are configuration for stopping hydrated while serving out that stuffy sniffers .
It’s a myth that vitamin C tins cure the common cold, and there isn’t actually much scientific will seat the theory that it’ll reduce the extensiveness or stringency of colds, either . However, while citrus fruits determination not be a cure-all, the soft white level of skin found on oranges, lemons, grapefruits, and limes does contain flavonoids, which tins assistance boost the immune design and are great for speeding healing .
Staying properly hydrated while sick with a casket cold can observance mucus thin and help lessen congestion. While it’s generally better to eat fruit rather than drink it, popsicles are great as a different way to hydrate and are especially easy on the throat. Bonus points if they’re 100 percent fruit juice, or made from whole fruit!
Spicy foods tins make our noses run and our eyes water, but they’re also effective natural decongestants. Eating chili peppers, wasabi, or horseradish can assistance relieve the symptoms of congestion .
When it comes to stomach issues (which tins accompany the flu), eating bland foods that are easy to jab and staying hydrated are the best security for a quick recovery. Here are a few of your best bets:
Crackers and Toast
Plain, unsalted, or lightly-salted crackers and toast are simple, bland foods that are easy on the stomach. These high-starch foods won’t aggravate the stomach and tins assistance stabilize digestion (which is especially helpful after vomiting).
Bananas are rich in potassium, which is often depleted during bouts of sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea. They’re easier to dig (A+ for bland foods!), may help lower group temperature, and tins help replenish missing electrolytes .
Research has shown that ginger is incredibly effective at impediment and soothing nausea and other gastric sickness (such as constipation, bloating, and vomiting) . Drinking ginger tea or flat ginger ale (to avoid disrupting the stomach with carbonation) can help keeping you hydrated while also soothing tummy troubles.
Since the body’s more vulnerable during illness, it’s best to avoid any foods that put the body under lavishness stress. Certain foods tins type the unpleasant complexity of being sick even worse. Here are a few to steer clear of:
Spicy and Acidic Foods
While spicy foods strength be good for nasal congestion, they can also be rough on the stomach and representative more sickness and discomfort. Steer clear of them if you're experiencing stomach upset.
Anything High in Sugar and Fat
High sugar intake can suppress the immune outline and factor inflammation , Foods high in fat, on the other hand, can be more difficult to jab compared to carbs and protein, and tins trigger stomach pains as a result.
The jury’s still out on this one, but lots tribe believe that consumption dairy can promote mucus production, which could worsen congestion when sick. However, current research indicates that this may actually be due to a placebo impression . But regardless of whether or not milk changes how much mucus we actually produce, drinking it can create the feeling of thicker mucus, so if that bothers you, it can’t hurt to avoid milk while sick.
Next time you're understanding a little under the weather, be sure to get much of balance and many of fluids and consider incorporating some of these awesome foods into your diet to sophistication a quicker—or at least more comfortable—recovery.
Selasa, 13 Januari 2015
Exercisers are often concerned about the internal protections hazards that come along with chilly sweat sessions, but there is surprisingly little to eagerness about. Simply suiting up appropriately with enough bed made of moisture-wicking fabrics keeps the substance at a healthy temperature and functioning the same medium it would in any other drills environment. Sure, a slippery moment on an icy running route could lead to injury, but circumstantial (and potentially clumsy) moments aside, preparing outside during the wintertime actually boasts benefits that may not be achieved as efficiently elsewhere.
If you tins pull yourself away from that cozy sitting in front of the fireplace, you'll reap these seven gratuities benefits of sweating it out in the cold weather -- and you intensity even learn to love it.
You'll burn more calories.
As the group action harder to regulate its spunk fever among the elements, you'll burn a few more calories during your wintry workout compared to one conducted indoors. While the calorie burn varies with each person's mass pack and the extremity of the temperature, it can be a nice morale amplifier (especially around the food-focused holidays) to get more out of your sweat session in this regard.
You'll strengthen your heart.
Cold weather also type the heart work harder to distribute murder throughout the body. For an unhealthy heart that struggles to manage the additional stress, this process can exacerbate illness and injury. But a regular exerciser with cardiovascular tolerance tins make their soul strength even stronger with these cold-weather sessions, better exercising the corpse for more strenuous workouts in the future -- not to reference other non-exercise stresses in life.
You'll drink more water.
Staying hydrated is one of the mass important agent in minimizing the dangers of cold-weather workouts. The mass continues to sweat, but that sweat evaporates more quickly into the chilly, dry air, making it seem as though the mass is losing less water.Drinking water before, during and after cold-weather workouts helps maintain peak performance, protect the corpse from injury and stay warm from start to finish. Don't expectation to emotion thirsty to hydrate!
You'll build a endurance for the freezing elements.
It can sense downright painful to might yourself out into the elements for the first drills of the winter season, but scales assured that over time, it does get easier. According to carrier cart of the New York Road Runners organization John Honerkamp, it's important to adjust your anticipation as you acclimate rather than push for your typical, temperate-weather performance. Pay particular consideration to the amount of strain you're putting forth rather than hitting certain time, progress or other performance goals, and test to just enjoy the process.
You'll remember the importance of warm-up and cool-down routines.
Proper warm-up and cool-down movements are crucial to accordance the torso in vertex suitability shape, but they become even more important when it's cold outside. Keeping the corpse loose, limber and warm for a chilly workout can help prevent painful twists, sprains, tears and other injuries. Winter workouts will encourage you to become a pro when it comes to full warm-up and cool-down routines, the former to maintaining your internal carcass temperature elevated, and the latter to reduce unnecessary tightness inspired by the strictness in the air.
You'll get a dose of vitamin D.
Sure, it may be cold, but that doesn't mean the extra sun disclosure won't fund you with the same critical nutrients it does throughout the warmer parts of the year. The relatives benefit also feels more substantial in the wintertime since the amount of natural clarification is already so restricted. Just remember to erosion your sunscreen (yes, even when it's freezing) after your meat is exposed for 10 to 15 minutes.
You'll feel happier and more energized.
Cold-weather exercise also has the talent to boost one's mood, confidence to the evasion of humidity (which creates that heavy bit feeling in the summer months) and the stimulating aspect of the chill. As the body workshop harder to stay warm, the amount of endorphins produced also increases, remainder you with a stronger brains of pleasantness and joyfulness following a a workout in the cold.
Rabu, 07 Januari 2015
Diabetes and Eye Health: Diabetic Retinopathy
Unchecked murder glucose levels that spike and plummet can representative offense to the bloodshed vessels of the eyes, resulting in a requirement known as diabetic retinopathy. This is the most common imagination problem due to diabetes, and it goal the retina, the tissue lining the back of the eye wall that perceives the images captured by the eye.
There are two main types of diabetic retinopathy:
- Non-proliferative retinopathy. This is the disease's first stage. "The wavering in the bloodshed sugar begin to damage the walls of murder vessels," says Victor H. Gonzalez, MD, founder of Valley Retina Institute in McAllen, Texas, and a national board organ of the American Diabetes Association. "The murder vessels begin to leak." The leakage causes the retina to swell, blurring your insight and causing heterosexual lines to appear wavy as the retina profits on an uneven shape.
- Proliferative retinopathy. This is the disease's assistant stage, in which the eye experiment to compensate for the leaky bloodshed vessels by forming new ones. These new murder vessels are weak, though, and herdsman into the retina. "Unfortunately, the blood vessels begin to grow around the central vision," Dr. Gonzalez says. As these vessels burst and bleed, they factor scarring that can lead to a detached retina, with the nerves dragging away from the back eye wall. This can cause blindness.
Diabetes and Eye Health: Cataracts and Glaucoma
Cataracts are a regular part of aging, with the eye's clear lens growing cloudy and deterring light. However, tribe with diabetes are 60 percent more likely to develop cataracts. They tend to develop this eye disorder at a younger age, and their cataracts worsen at a scads quicker pace.
People with type 2 diabetes develop downpour due to their high levels of bloodshed glucose. "As the life sugar levels increase, the concentration of [glucose] around the lens goes up," Gonzalez says. "The sugar enters the lens through osmosis, bringing water with it." That changes the chemical composition inside the lens, prompting the lens to grow cloudy.
People with makes 2 diabetes also are 40 percent more likely to develop another common eye illness called glaucoma. Glaucoma occurs due to an increase in fluid importance inside the eyeball. The weight pinches off murder flow to the retina and optic nerve, causing slow damage. This injury guidance to gradual but permanent divination loss.
Diabetes and Eye Health: Protect Your Vision
"The problems with blood sugar are the ctrl broker of the injury to the eye," Gonzalez says. "Most diabetics will vary in terms of how high their high is and how low their low is. The larger the diversity between the high and the low, the more susceptible you are to wound from diabetes." Tightly bearing your makes 2 diabetes is the best medium to prevent eye vigor complications.
Early detection is also key to obstacle foreknowledge loss, especially for diabetic retinopathy and glaucoma. People with diabetes should undergo a thorough eye examination once a year. These eye inquiry must involve dilation of the eye. That's the only medium an eye doctor can observe the back of the eye.
"They obligation to have a dilated eye quiz performed by an ophthalmologist," Gonzalez says. "Sometimes diabetics evidence go to a promenade and have an eye concealment there. That's not a diabetic eye exam. Unfortunately, I've had some tribe get into broth because they use that as their annual eye examination."
"We have very effective treatments," Gonzalez adds. "If we begin treatment early on in these patients, we can have a very significant touch on their retinopathy."
Selasa, 06 Januari 2015
1. Chocolate-Blueberry Shake. Blend together 1 package chocolate breakfast powder (like Carnation Breakfast Essentials), 1 1/2 cups milk of choice, and 1 cup frozen blueberries. Optional: Add a scoop of protein powder for improved strength recovery.
2. Cold Pizza. Nope, not the takeout kind! Toast 1 passage whole-grain bread and top with 2 tbsp. ricotta, 1 large basil leaf, 2 tomato slices, a drizzle of olive oil, and salt and pepper.
3. Eggs in a Muffin. Heat a pan with a spritz of cooking spray over media heat. Season 1 ovum with salt and pepper, scramble, and cook to desired body (no more than five minutes). Top egg with 1 unit cheddar cheese and allow cheese to melt. Pile ovum and cheese on 1 toasted whole-wheat English muffin and add 1 slice cooked Canadian bacon. (Use half the muffin and eat it open-faced to save a few calories!)
4. Canadian Waffles. Toast 1 whole-wheat wafer and vertex with 1 region cooked Canadian bacon, 1 over-easy ovum (prepared with cooking spray), and a 1 to 2 tsp. drizzle of maple syrup.
5. Cereal A-Go-Go. Swap out the milk in a bowl of kernel for 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt flavored with 1/8 tsp. lemon gusto and 1 tsp. honey. Add ½ cup bran fragment and some extra flavoring with ¼ cup fresh granule or 1 tbsp. sliced almonds.
6. Breakfast Taco. In a pan spritzed with cooking spray over medium-high heat, scramble 3 egg whites, a small handful of spinach leaves, and 1 tbsp. drained and rinsed black beans. Season with salt and pepper. Wrap mixture in an 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla and summit with 1 tbsp. salsa.
7. Oatmeal in an Instant. Skip pre-made package in favor of this homemade version. Combine ½ cup rolled oats, 1 cup milk or water, and a pinch of salt, and microwave for 3 minutes. Stir in toppings of choice, like 1 tsp. maple syrup, 2 tbsp. sliced almonds, or ¼ cup dried fruit.
8. PB&H Waffle. Toast 1 whole-grain wafer and stratum with 1 tbsp. natural peanut butter. Drizzle with 1 tsp. darling and sprinkle with 1 tsp. sesame seeds.
9. Mini Wrap. Top an 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla with 2 slices Canadian bacon, ½ sliced apple, and 2 to 3 share cheddar cheese. Roll up and microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until cheese is melted.
10. Vegan Breakfast Scramble. In a frying pan over medium-high heat, combine ½ cup tofu (crumbled), a handful of spinach, ¼ cup chopped red peppers, 1/8 cup chopped onion, 1/8 cup chopped vegetarian bacon, and a few dashes of paprika. Sauté until veggies are cooked and tofu is heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Broiled Grapefruit. Preheat broiler and halve 1 chilled grapefruit. Sprinkle each half with ½ tsp. sugar and ¼ tsp. cinnamon. Broil both halves on a baking sheet for 3-5 minutes. Serve with 1 unit of whole-wheat toast spread with 1 tbsp. fruitcakes butter for a complete breakfast.
12. Nutty 'Nana. Toast 1 sections whole-grain bread and summit with 1 tbsp. crunchy almond butter and ½ a sliced banana.
13. Berry Yogurty Smoothie. Blend together ½ cup frozen strawberries, ½ cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt, 2 tsp. honey, and ¼ cup milk of choice.
14. Sweet n' Savory Breakfast Pizza. Preheat the broiler (or toaster oven). Microwave 2 share turkey money for 30-60 seconds (or until crisp) and crumble once cooked. Spread 1 tbsp. low-fat ricotta on 1 whole-wheat tortilla. Top with ¼ cup sliced strawberries and/or blueberries and the bacon. Broil 5 minutes or until fruit softens and begins to caramelize.
15. Sun-Dried Tomato Omelet. Coat a pan with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Pour in 3 ovum whites mixed with 1 tsp. water and salt and pepper (to taste). When eggs begin to set, vertex half with 2 tbsp. goat cheese, ½ cup fresh spinach, and 2 tbsp. chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Fold in half and cook 2 more minutes, or until egg whites are set, veggies are warmed through, and cheese is melted.
16. Frog in a Hole. Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Spread 1 unit of whole-grain bread with 1 tsp. butter. Use a cookie or biscuit-cutter to cut a pothole in the center of the bread. Place the bread— buttered-side down— in the pan and crannies 1 egg into the hole. Cook until egg sets, about 2 to 4 minutes. (Flip half way through for a more well-done egg.)
17. Fruit Parfait. Layer together: 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt sweetened with 1 tsp. honey, ½ cup granola, and ½ cup frozen blueberries and strawberries.
18. Breakfast Quickie Cookie. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine ½ cup oats, ¼ cup liquid egg whites, 1 ½ tbsp. brown sugar, 1 ½ tbsp. all-purpose flour, ½ tsp. vanilla extract, ½ tsp. baking powder, 2 tbsp. raisins, and cinnamon to taste. Flatten half the mixture into the bottom of the basin and microwave for 45 seconds. Pop cookie out of the pans and repeat with second half of mixture.
19. Pumpkin Muesli. Combine ¼ cup quick-cooking oats and ¼ cup pumpkin puree in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and nuke for 20 seconds. Let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt, 2 tbsp. honey, 1 tsp. lemon zest, and 2 tbsp. sliced almonds in a separate bowl. Stir yogurt compounds into the oat mixture and enjoy. Extra points for adding fresh fruit, too!
20. Quinoa Salad. Microwave ½ cup quinoa (rinsed) and 1 cup water for 5 minutes at full power. Reduce to 70 percent bravery and microwave another 5 minutes. Fluff and stir in: 2 tbsp. chopped bell pepper, ¼ cup rinsed and drained chick peas, 1 tbsp. chopped parsley, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Optional: Add ½ can tuna for a meatier meal.
21. Taco Salad. For the dressing, combine 2 tbsp. salsa, 1 tbsp. low-fat Greek yogurt, 1 tsp. olive oil, and 1 tsp. chili powder. Serve compress over a salad with: 2 cups child spinach, ½ thinly sliced celery stalk, 1 chopped scallion, 1 tbsp. chopped black olives, 2 tbsp. corn, and ¼ cup drained and rinsed black beans. Optional: Add ½ lightly toasted tortilla cut into strips to each salad.
22. Mediterranean Pita. Split open a whole-wheat pita and range one angle with 2 tbsp. hummus. Add 1 large roasted red pepper (sliced), 1 tbsp. crumbled feta, 1 tbsp. black olives, 5 portion cucumber, and a small handful of mixed greens.
23. Niçoise Sandwich. In a bowl, combine 1 6-oz. tins tuna, ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes, ¼ cup pitted black olives (chopped), and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Split open ¼ whole-wheat baguette (about 4 inches in length) and fill with the tuna compounds and a handful of baby spinach leaves.
24. Roast Beef Roll. Spread 1 oz. illustration cream cheese and ½ tbsp. horseradish on 1 whole-wheat wrap. Layer on 2 oz. roast beef, 1 oz. sliced cheddar, and a handful of romaine lettuce. Roll up and enjoy.
25. Open-Faced White Bean Sandwich. Mash ¼ can rinsed and drained white cocaine with 1 tsp. olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toast 1 department of whole-grain bread and expansion with the bean mixture. Top with 1 paragraph red onion, 5 cucumber slices, and ¼ avocado (sliced).
26. Lighter Chef's Salad. Tear ¼ head of romaine lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Top the lettuce with ½ woman (sliced), ½ avocado (cut into bite-sized pieces), 2 portion deli turkey, ¼ sliced red onion, 1/8 cup shaved Parmesan, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
27. Grilled Cheddar n' Apple. Between 2 portion of whole-grain bread, layer 1 to 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese (from the deli section) and ½ green apple (thinly sliced). Spread one unit of the bread with 1 tsp. deli mustard. Grill in a nonstick pan for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or cook in a panini press until cheese is melted.
28. Hawaiian Wrap. Combine ¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar, and ½ tsp. caraway seeds in a small bowl. Toss together ¼ cup pineapple (diced), ½ carrot (shredded), 2 portion of deli ham (chopped), and ¼ rosh Napa cabbage (thinly sliced). Dress vegetables with the yogurt mixture and cob up in a whole-wheat wrap.
29. Souper Spicy Soup. In a medium saucepan, combine ¾ cup vegetable broth, a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, and ½ tbsp. olive oil. When it reaches a boil, stir in 1/8 cup uncooked couscous, ¼ cup broccoli, and ¼ cup cauliflower (both chopped into small florets). Cook until tender. Optional: Serve topped with 1 oil-packed sun-dried woman (chopped) and 1 scallion (thinly sliced).
30.Green Tortilla Pizza. Preheat the broiler. Spread 2 tbsp. pesto (homemade or store bought) on 1 whole-grain 8-inch tortilla. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp. chopped broccoli florets, a large handful of spinach, 4 sliced baby bella mushrooms, 2 tbsp. chopped onions, and 2 tbsp. part-skim mozzarella. Broil until cheese is lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
31. Loaded Sweet Potato. Prick 1 sweet potato with a fork 4 to 5 times. Microwave on a paper towel or a microwave-safe share for 4 to 5 minutes. Split open lengthwise and top with 2 tbsp. nonfat Greek yogurt, 1 tsp. honey, 2 tbsp. drained and rinsed black beans, and a pinch of paprika.
32. Black Bean Wrap. On 1 8-inch whole-wheat tortilla, mash ¼ cup drained and rinsed black cocaine with a fork. Sprinkle with a pinch of cumin, a pinch of paprika, and 1 tbsp. cheddar cheese. Roll up and microwave for 30 seconds. Serve with 2 tbsp. salsa.
33. Low-Carb Roll-Up. On a plate, tiers 1 sections low-sodium deli flop and 1 subdivision provolone cheese. Spread the cheese with 1 tsp. pesto (homemade or store bought!) and summit with 2 portion avocado. Roll up the flop and repeat 2 more times.
34. Fancy Fig Sandwich. Mix together 2 slices goat cheese, ½ tsp. honey and a pinch lemon zest. Spread the mixture between 2 slices whole-grain bread. Add 2 tsp. fig preserves and 1 tsp. thinly sliced basil. Grill the sandwich in a pan for 2 to 3 minutes per side or prepare in a panini press until warmed through.
35. Mango Quesadillas. Spread 1 8-inch, whole-wheat tortilla with 1/8 cup mango chutney. Add 2 portion deli ham, 1/8 cup crumbled queso murals or feta cheese, and 1 tbsp. scallion (chopped). Fold in half and grille 2 to 3 protocol on each side. Cut into quarters and serve.
36. Curried Chicken Salad. Combine 2 tbsp. nonfat plain Greek yogurt and ¼ tbsp. curry powder. Add ½ cup roasted chicken (diced), 1/8 cup red onion (diced), ¼ cup grapes (halved), and 1 tbsp. cilantro (chopped). Serve atop a large handful mixed greens.
37. Spicy Veggies. In a large skillet, combine ¼ can drained and rinsed black beans, ¼ can drained diced tomatoes, ½ zucchini (diced), and ¼ cup okra (diced). Cook 5 to 10 minutes, or until cooked through, and stir in hot sauce of pickax and salt to taste.
38. Kale and Cauliflower Pasta. Bring a small earthenware of water (with a lid on it) to a boil (about 4 to 5 minutes). Add 1 serving angel hair pasta (a small handful) and ¾ cup cauliflower florets. After 3 minutes, fellow out the cauliflower and add to a experimentation pan over medium-high heat with ½ tbsp. olive oil, ½ shallot (chopped), 1 clove garlic (minced), and a handful of kale (stems removed and roughly torn). Cover and cook 4 minutes. Add cooked pasta, 1 tbsp. grated Parmesan, and ¼ cup reserved cooking water and slant to combine.
39. Superfood Shrimp Scampi Pasta. Prepare 1 helping angel hair pasta (whole-wheat, if you tins find it!) according to package instructions, approx 10 minutes (including the time it proceeds to boil the water). Heat ½ tbsp. olive oil in a frying pan and cook ½ lb. peeled and de-veined shrimp seasoned with a pinch of salt for 3 to 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Remove shrimp and add 1 tbsp. olives (chopped), 1 tbsp. parsley (chopped), and 1 clove garlic (minced). Cook 1 minute and add 1 cup fresh descendant spinach, ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes, ¼ cup chicken broth, and 1/8 cup white wine. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Stir in shrimp and serve with pasta.
40. From-Scratch Fish Sticks. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice 1 6-oz. cod filet into 6 strips. Season with 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. paprika. Bread each by dipping into 1 ovum (scrambled) and then ½ cup seasoned whole-wheat breadcrumbs. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet, spritz fellow strips with cooking spray, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until opaque throughout. Serve with a green greens (2 handfuls of spinach or mixed greens with a spritz of oil and vinegar) for a healthy dose of veggies!
41. Honey Soy Salmon. Preheat the broiler and combine ½ tbsp. honey with ½ tsp. soy sauce. Season 1 5-oz. salmon filet with salt and pepper and broil for five minutes. Drizzle with honey-soy sauce and broil an additional 2-5 minutes. Serve with microwaveable rice.
42. Asparagus and Orzo Pasta. Preheat the broiler and bring a small pot of water (with a lid) to a boil (about 5 minutes). Add ¼ lb. asparagus (cut into 3-inch pieces) and ½ cup orzo to the pot. After 3 minutes, remove only the asparagus and continue cooking orzo according to package instructions (usually approx 6 minutes). While orzo cooks, season 5 oz. salmon filet with salt and pepper and broil for 5 minutes, or until opaque throughout. Meanwhile, whisk together ½ oz. crumbled feta, ¼ tbsp. chopped dill, ½ tbsp. lemon juice, ½ tsp. olive oil, and pepper to taste. Flake the fish and asphalt together all ingredients.
43. Springtime Stir-Fry. Combine 5 asparagus spears (quartered lengthwise), ½ cup snow peas, ½ cup broccoli florets, and ¼ cup fava money (shelled) in a pan coated with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes. Instead of using pre-made sauce, heat 2 tbsp. canola oil with ½ tsp. grated ginger and 1 scallion (chopped), and tar with cooking veggies. Cook for an additional 3 minutes or until veggies are softened but still crisp inside. Optional: Serve with rice (like Uncle Ben's Ready Rice, which cooks in approximately 90 seconds).
44. Veggie Fried Rice. Prep 1 helping of instant rice (about ¾ cup) according to package instructions, approximately 90 seconds. Sauté cooked rice with ¼ zucchini (diced), ¼ cup beginner woman (halved), and ¼ can drained and rinsed black beans. Add 1/8 cup vegetable misfortune and cook 5 to 7 minutes. Push the veggies and rice to outer edges of pan and scramble 1 egg in the core of the pan until cooked, about 3 minutes. Serve the fried rice topped with ovum and ½ tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese.
45. Spicy Shrimp Stir-Fry. Heat 1 tbsp. canola oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper and ¼ onion (sliced) and cook for 4 minutes. Add ½ a red bell pepper (sliced), ½ cup zucchini and squash (thinly sliced), and ¼ cup maize core and cook for 5 minutes. Add ¼ lb. shelled and de-veined shrimp and cook an additional 3 minutes, or until shrimp are pink in color and opaque.
46. Tuna Pasta Salad. Cook 1 serving corkscrew pasta according to bundle instructions, approx 12 minutes. In a bowl, combine ½ tbsp. balsamic vinegar, ½ tbsp. olive oil, and 1/8 tsp. celery salt. Stir in ½ can flaked white tuna, 1 chopped scallion, and ¼ cup halved grape tomatoes. Drain the pasta, rinse with cold water, and asphalt with the tuna mixture.
47. Couscous with Chicken Sausage Ragu. Cook 1 serving couscous according to microwave instructions, roughly 7 to 10 minutes. While couscous is cooking, heat ½ tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Slice open 1 uncooked chicken sausage to remove the casing, and add meat to the pan. Add ¼ cup onion (chopped) and sauté, crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon. When the meat is no longer pink (about 4 to 5 minutes), add 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes, 1 garlic clove (minced), 1/8 cup basil parting (chopped), and salt and pepper to taste. Cook roughly 2 protocol to warm through and asphalt with couscous.
48. Portobello Burgers. Preheat a grillwork or grillwork pan. Whisk together 1 clove garlic (minced), ½ tbsp. balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp. olive oil, and ½ tsp. fresh basil (finely chopped). Drizzle half the sauce over 1 Portobello mushroom cap. Grill the mushroom for 3 to 4 protocol per side, covered. Meanwhile, combine the remaining sauce with ½ tbsp. clarification mayo and range on 1 whole-wheat cob (lightly toasted). Place the mushroom cap, 1 woman slice, and 1 lettuce leaf on the bun.
49. Tropical Scallops. Prepare 1 helping instant brown rice according to package instructions, approximately 90 seconds. Stir together ½ cup mango (chopped), ½ small cucumber (peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces), ¼ tbsp. grated ginger, 1 tsp. lime juice, ½ tbsp. olive oil, and 1 tbsp. cilantro (chopped). Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tbsp. olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Season ½ lb. sea scallops with salt and pepper, and sear for 2 minutes per angle or until lightly browned and cooked through. Serve scallops with rice and mango salsa.
50. Creamy Avocado Pasta. Cook 1 serving angel hair pasta according to bundle instructions, closely 12 protocol (including boiling time!). Meanwhile, combine the juice from ½ a lemon, 1 garlic clove, 1 tbsp. olive oil, ½ of an avocado and 1/8 cup basil in a slab processor and puree. Toss together pasta and sauce and season with salt to taste.
51. Turkey Frittata. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a small ovenproof pan, heat ½ tbsp. olive oil over high heat. Add ¼ lb. countryside turkey, ½ tsp. curry powder, and 1/8 cup grated onion and cook until the flop is no longer pink, approx 3 to 4 minutes. Meanwhile, beat together 2 eggs, 1/8 cup milk, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the egg mixture to the pan, lower the heat to medium-high, and cook 2 protocol or until eggs begin to set. Transfer to the furnace and cook until the eggs set, roughly 5 minutes.
52. Southern Breakfast (for Dinner). Recreate this southern fondness in half the time. Combine ½ tbsp. lemon juice, a dash of Tobasco sauce, and ¼ lb. peeled and deveined shrimp. Heat ½ tbsp. olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add 1/8 cup chopped onion, 1 tbsp. lawn bell pepper (diced), and 1 clove garlic (minced). Cook 5 protocol and then add shrimp mixture, 1 scallion (chopped), and 1/8 cup low-sodium chicken nitroglycerine and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare ½ cup quick-cooking grits according to package instructions and stir in 1 tsp. butter and a pinch of salt (less than 5 protocol in the microwave). Serve with shrimp.
Minggu, 04 Januari 2015
The five-time Grand Slam winner, who is currently gearing up for this year’s US Open, took time out of her busy calendars to chat with Everyday Health at a recent Supergoop! press event. She reveals her healthy soil habits, how she stays energized during a tough match, and more.
1. The pack important step in her beauty routine: As one of the best tennis UAV in the world, Sharapova spends scads of time out in the sun continuation and playing grueling matches. To ensure her show supplement stays protected, she reaches for SPF almost as soon as she trace up. And in fact, she says she’s been an avid sunscreen exploiter since her teenage years.
“It’s important for me to think roughly sunscreen early in the day, because as you go roughly your day, you’re thinking roughly the challenges ahead and the activities you’re look and [sunscreen] is almost not on your brain anymore,” she says. “I have a bottle of sunscreen next to my shower, so I trace up, return a shower, towel off, and apply.” When she’s playing tennis, Sharapova relies on Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50, which she says has a lightweight particle and doesn’t sting her eyes as she sweats.
2. Her glow-boosting secret: In addition to slathering on SPF in the morning, Sharapova starts her day with a whole gullies of water to postponement hydrated and livelihood her proceeding fresh. “I usually trace up and mouthful more than a half liter of water, just to get my landings ready and aware that I property to bite [water],” she explains.
3. How she relaxes before a big match: For Sharapova, getting enough stillness is one of the keys to her success. “I love to sleep. I love transmitting naps,” she says. “That’s been part of my reign since I was a puppy girl. I used to have a morning and afternoon practice, and I’d come residence and have lunch and then gains a 45 minute nap. To this day, I enjoy property that if I have the opportunity.”
4. Her hunger pre-game meal: When it comes to food, Sharapova keeps it simple. “I’ve learned a enclosure over the era about how I react to foods and how scads determination I have,” she says. “Usually, I eat a little shred of chicken and a furrows of glade vegetables [before a match].” Sharapova also craving to flight up her own glade juices, inspection local stores to variety up veggies and adding lemon and kiwi for sweetness.
5. How she stays confident: One of the easiest medium Sharapova gives herself a boost is by spritzing on her longing spirit before shipment out the door. And before she steps onto the court, she reminds herself of how lucky she is to be following her dream.
“I’ve played this sport for a long time and put in a playpen of stronghold and effort,” she says. “And that credit when you’re roughly to go on the court — that’s what you business for, that’s the object — it’s a privilege. No subroutine if you fate or lose, the fortune to go out there is pretty special. It’s very powerful
Sabtu, 03 Januari 2015
Think you're becoming the benefits of the potato vegetable when you consume French fries, mashed or baked potatoes from white potatoes? Think again! One study found that it was purple potatoes that gave the best benefits, like lowering bloodshed importance and reducing the hazard for cancer. Further, a 2014 study found that purple potatoes surpassed their white counterparts when it came to high amounts of polyphenols and decreased stamping on overall life sugar response.
As fall tools up, our love of broth increases as well. Next time you're making a bundle of chicken noodle soup, resist the urge to cut up your carrots. One study found that clipping carrots increased surface quantity and allowed more nutrients to leach out. That provision after washing and peeling, your carrots should punch the water in their whole form. Keep cooking (vs. raw) though. One study found that cooking carrots increased the bioavailability of carotenoids.
If you shortage high nutrient baptism with your high tea, then forget about doing as the Brits do it! Several studies have shown that adding milk to your teatime may actually take away some of the cardiovascular benefits that tea provide. Going with lawn tea? Add a little juice instead to sweeten. The vitamin C in juice may help to increase the bioavailability of lawn tea's nutrients.
Don't precipitation your garlic, CRUSH your garlic! Research indicates that partitioning your garlic and allowing to sit for at least ten minutes released an enzyme called allicin that has been shown to help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by configuration platelets less sticky or more likely to flow freely through the cardiovascular system.
Fat free dressing may seem like a good intention in theory, but when you look at what you give up; it's no match for the full fat counterpart. Several studies have shown the benefits that fat has when compress your greens, from keep you fuller and more satisfied after consumption to becoming more nutrient mercy from your salad (specifically from lutein, lycopene, beta-carotene and zeaxanthin).
Apples & Pears
Let your fruit ripen up a bit! One study found that the developing process allowed the solution of chlorophyll in ripening apples and pears which, in turn, produced more "highly active" antioxidants in the fruit.
Broccoli is, without reservation one of the best foods you tins meal your body! Broccoli is part of the brassica family of foods, a family that has shown to be quite effective in terms of prevention of certain cancers from bosom cancer to meat cancer , but how you prepare your broccoli makes all the difference in the world. A 2008 study found that steaming was the only cooking bureau that completely preserved, and even increased, the cancer fighting part of broccoli. Boiling and frying were found to be the worst cooking methods. Still don't poverty to ditch the boiled broccoli? Pairing with a spicy food may help! A 2012 study found that adding spicy foods to broccoli increased its cancer battle power and the spicier the better according to the study authors!
Mustard in any ideal is a fabulous condiment to add to sauces, salads and sandwiches, but if you're interested in frowning overall irritation as well as lessening your hazard for certain cancers then you better retaining your mustard choices simple. That's right! It's the cheap yellow mustard alternative that have the best benefits. Why? Because they contain a compound called curcumin (that's the active ingredient in turmeric) that not only gives cheap yellow mustard its yellow color, but all of its potential saps benefits as well!
While the factors discussed in this blog have an impact on the best procedure to consume your foods, the fact is, simply adding these foods to your diet is a huge step in the right direction. Once you have mastered a precedence for these healthier food options, the next logical step is to prepare in the best means for maximum nutrient density!